Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 0. Tents and Tarps!





Sunday evening in Duncan, Oklahoma. Planning on rolling out tomorrow morning-early. Mom and I took a little surveying lesson tonight when we stopped by this monument. Now ya know. Initial Point. Indian Base. Indian Meridian. Check.


Saw the best canvas tents today. An old fashioned chuck wagon group from Loco, Oklahoma was set up just outside the Chisholm Trail center. The ladies were busy preparing dinner and were set up underneath it. They were peeling potatoes, making rolls, and other such goodies. Mom got invited back into the "kitchen" underneath the trees because she was interested in the dutch ovens they had set about...a nice man took the lid off one and showed us the most gorgeous cobbler that was cooking...oh! But back to the tents. Wonderful canvas made right here in Oklahoma according to the lady in charge of the potatoes. Nice rustic cedar posts. She said it only takes three people to set it up. I was impressed. I want one. And I know where to get it. Pauls Valley, Oklahoma. Check this out: http://www.edwardscanvas.com/ . Apparently I will need a wagon to store it in and move from site to site. And of course that means what? MULES. You knew I would get back to mules, right? 

Today. We sleep in air conditioned comfort at the Days Inn. We have had some equipment issues: The bike rack needed straightening, Mom assisted. Our AC converter failed to get the job done during the test run so we are uncertain how we will air up our airbed tomorrow night in Apache. Mom said she will bum some electricity somewhere. I leave it in her capable hands. I'm having trouble with my shoes. I switched old cleats from old shoes to new shoes. Need some fine tuning there but it will have to wait until tomorrow when (and if) I roll into camp.
Coming tomorrow (if we can find some way to log on): Details regarding my first day riding...Duncan to Apache. 53 miles.

Shop- The Beginning

I'm finally building on the land. Its been a long time coming...and the plans and the location have changed over the years since I first...