Sunday, September 12, 2010

Homemade Limoncello-The Wait Begins.

Finally got around to trying my hand at making homemade limoncello, that sweet lemon liqueur of Italy. I found some organic lemons (without wax or pesticides). They were just Eureka Lemons, not the Meyer that are so highly recommended.  They seemed a bit small so I zested all 26 of them even though my recipe only called for 18-20. It took me about an hour to zest all the lemons, add 1.5 liters of 100 proof vodka and stow away in a nice cool dark cabinet.  I had a huge gallon jar...I washed it out put in in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes to sterilize it.  My batch is only 1/2 gallon though. Guess I will try to make a double batch next time if I can find enough lemons. After 45 days I will add a simple syrup and put back in the cool dark for 45 days.  Then, filter out the zest and put straight into the freezer.  Serve ice cold straight or use to mix cocktails.  Or how about splashed over pound cake?  I like the sound of that! 

Shop- The Beginning

I'm finally building on the land. Its been a long time coming...and the plans and the location have changed over the years since I first...